Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Ennu Ninte Moideen, 2015 (Forever Yours Moideen)

Finally!!!

Managed to watch Ennu Ninte Moideen (Forever yours Moideen), one of the highest grossing movies of all time. Made by a debutante director, RS Vimal, it brought on celluloid one of the legendary love stories of contemporary Kerala. Story of the doomed love between Moideen and Kanchanamala, who, initially due to being on different sides of religious divide and later due to many other reasons, could never come together.

At 2 hours 47 minutes, it was a long watch, but I didn't feel it was long. To me, the most captivating part was Kerala itself. Supposed to be happening in the village of Mukkam in Kozhikode district, the movie was shot in Shoranoor in Palakkad. Cinematography by Jomon T John was enchanting. With visuals of the (fictionalised) Iruvazhinjippuzha river, Kathakali dancers and rain, the visuals alone would have been sufficient for me. The scenes of rain also kept reminding me of Perumazzhakalam by Kamal.

I don't know whether this movie was realised in theatres in Kolkata. To me, a great gesture of patriotism would have been to release movies in Indian languages, with subtitles, all over India. I wonder who would do it. But it surely is a wish.

Timing of my watching the movie was very poignant- as it came two days after the hacking of a young man by the family of the woman he had married. They were from different castes. So 1960s Kerala to now India doesn't seem to be a good place for safety of lovers who cross the boundaries of caste or religion.

P. S. To my Malayali friends on FB- was there a mix up in the first scene between Moideen and his father when Moideen tells his father that Congress is no longer Indian National Congress, but Congress (Indira). To my mind, that scene is supposed to be in 1957 and there was no Congress (Indira) at that time. Thanks in advance for any leads.:-))

No comments:

Post a Comment